Yesterday I shared a video with an amazing recovery, today’s is just as powerful. This raw food diet works when done the right way. My buddy John Kohler is a great example. One of his many websites is www.living-foods.com
Archive for March, 2010
Raw food diets are being touted as the way to a healthier lifestyle. This diet is based on eating raw and unprocessed foods, consisting of mainly nuts, fresh fruits and vegetables. The concept that the raw food is healthier than cooked food is based on the theory that cooking food over 116 F destroys the nutritional value of the food.
Before Changing to a Raw Food Diet Learn the Benefits
According raw foodies there are many health benefits associated with changing to a raw food diet. People who have switched to a raw food diet claim to:
Have more energy Be able to efficiently metabolize their food and lose weight Digest their food more effectively Better cardiovascular health
What Constitutes a Raw Food Diet
Raw foodies eat fresh fruits and vegetables, seeds, sprouts and legumes. The goal is to have a diet where three quarters of the food consumed is not heated above 116 degrees F. A raw food diet consists of simply prepared food that manages to retain all the nutritional value. The food can be prepared by using a dehydrator, a juicer, a blender and food processor.
What to Expect When Switching to a Raw Diet
There are several symptoms associated with switching to a raw food diet. The first is what raw foodies call the detoxification stage. This is the stage where the body gets rid of the “harmful” toxins ingested from eating a diet high in unnatural chemicals like caffeine, cooked protein, salt and sugar. The symptoms include headaches, some nausea, bad breath, chills and feeling fatigued. The symptoms disappear after about a week or two. For more information please visit Fitness Directory South Africa
Getting Ready for the Switch
Determine what the motivation for the change is. People change for a variety of reasons such as weight loss, health or experimentation. Choose a Raw Food Diet Plan. There are different resources available to find a reliable raw diet plan. Prepare the food prep area in the kitchen. Purchase the relevant appliances needed. Most recipes use juicers, dehydrator and blenders. Purchase the containers to sprout seeds, grains and beans.
Find a variety of Raw Recipes that suit any palate.
Switching to a raw food diet should be done slowly by building up to a total transition. Start by filling a day’s meals with salads and fresh fruits opting to have only one cooked meal a day, then one cooked meal a week, then once cooked meal a month until such time that when it emotionally and physically possible to go 100 percent raw.
Who Can Go On a Raw Food Diet
Raw food diets are nutrient dense that are conspicuously lacking in the saturated fats but high in fiber and potassium. These nutrients are particular important in maintaining a healthy cardiovascular system. However, a raw food diet is also deficient in certain nutrients like iron, protein and calcium and also the diet does not provide sufficient number of calories. Therefore, before making the change it is best to consult with a physician to make sure that there are no foreseeable health related drawbacks. People with osteoporosis, pregnant or nursing women, young children and people with low blood iron (anemia) should not change to a raw food diet. For more information please visit Health Directory South Africa
New York has some of the best restaurants found anywhere in America and among these restaurants you will find that the raw food restaurants are beginning to attract a lot more attention as more and more people are looking towards leading a healthier lifestyle. This great city has a great track record of serving some of the greatest raw food in the world. Out of these famous restaurants there are actually ten that actually stand out three of which are vegetarian. All of this is made possible because of the vast array of cultures that can be found within the big apple.
There are a variety of different foods that these raw food restaurants in New York serve including things such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. The even offer a wide range of raw desserts as well. When a lot of people think of the fact of eating raw food they are worried about the taste but you may be surprised because it actually tastes quite good.
All of these great restaurants use a variety of different tools to provide you with the best taste possible when it comes to raw food in New York. This includes such things as food processors, blenders, and even juicers among others. All of these tools provide you with some of the best tasting food around.
Probably what throws a lot of people away from eating at these raw restaurants in New York is the fact that there are absolutely no stoves, ovens, or even microwaves that are used. This is done so that they will be able to preserve the live enzymes that are present within all the raw food. Theses enzymes actually begin to break down and lose their health benefits if they are cooked above 140 degrees.
The trends of eating in raw food restaurants in New York have begun to rise in the past few years. Due to this fact there has been a wide variety of different culinary restaurant schools teaching chefs all about cooking with raw food. There are also famous chefs visiting these great restaurants in an effort how to cook these great foods.
Out of all the great raw food restaurants that are located within New York probably one of the most popular would be the Pure Food and Wine restaurant. This fabulous restaurant opened in 2004 and they over some of the best eye catching raw foods in New York. Some of the other popular raw food restaurants in New York include Quintessence, and Bonobos.
So as you can see raw food restaurants in New York are quickly growing in popularity. You should really consider giving one of these great restaurants a try today; you may be amazed at the fabulous flavors that you will encounter.
Learn how roll out the cracker and form the shape to make a healthy sweet cracker breakfast recipe for a raw food diet in this free cooking video on making raw food breakfast recipes. Expert: Denise Bennett Bio: Denise Bennett, is the owner of Gentle Soul Cafe in LA CA, and a partner in Light &Love Cafe in Sedona, Arizona. Filmmaker: Danniel Fishler
Some people think that a raw vegan lifestyle is quite expensive. Well, it doesn’t have to be if you just know how to plan your diet creatively and practically. In starting a raw vegan lifestyle, it may seem expensive, but as time goes by, you will realize that it’s not. Just keep the following pointers in mind:
1. If you are a budding raw vegan, you are probably going to try a number of recipes and normally all of the ingredients are not available at your arms reach. This situation could lead to a frequent trip to grocery stores as you fill up your pantry. Once you have a large stock with the needed herbs, seasonings and main ingredients than you can just buy them as the need arises.
2. There is also a great possibility that you find yourself preparing all varieties of foods to make enough sample for your friends so that they will be able to understand and support your way of living, or perhaps just trying to impress them, or even motivate them to try the vegan lifestyle. This is just normal, but you should always remember that the preparations, recipe books, regular parties can increase in your financial bills of going a vegan lifestyle.
3. Vegan foods can be expensive such as goji berries, acai berries, green powders, cacao etc. Most people do not find them important at all. Most vegans can always maintain their prepared diet plans without purchasing these so called “super foods.” It all depends on your food preference at that time of the day. As an example, if you find that it has been a couple of months without a variety in your diet, you can add some variety to make sure you are getting a rounded diet.
Or if you are travelling, you can always take a green powder to add in water or a glass of juice so that you can still get your green food. Just always remember that in general, if you would take a high amount of super foods, they can always add up the cost of your vegan lifestyle.
4. The raw vegan lifestyle is also synonymous to cutting out trips to restaurants in a regular basis. This can always save you money. The vegan lifestyle can cost you a few dollars in the beginning and some price add-ons. However, you should remember that there is probably no need to buy such things over and over again if you find items of high quality. For a little imagination, you can let your loved ones know that you want things that you can help you maintain a vegan lifestyle for presents during your birthday, holidays, or anniversaries.
5. Take note of the things that you don’t need to buy, which can always save you money. If red meat is expensive, then vitamin supplements are far more expensive but most of them are not a necessity for our bodies. Like some processed and packaged foods that are expensive. Also medications are expensive and being sick and paying hospital bills are also expensive.
If you are also sick, you will not be able to go to work and you cannot pay your bills and you cannot do your usual daily activities such as tending to your child’s needs.